Thursday 12 September 2013

War Horse Book Recommendation By Helena

War Horse 


If you love classic books based on true events, then War Horse is perfect for you! War Horse is a popular classical story based on the cruel hardship of the first world war. Written by Michael Morpurgo in the view of farm horse Joey, this masterpiece was first published 31 years ago, in the year 1982. 

In the deadly chaos of the First World War, one horse sees it all. Farm horse Joey witnesses the reality of the battle from both sides, English and German, the power of war and the beauty of peace. Joey tells a powerful story of the truest of friendships in the worst of wars. 

Its a great book, and if you prefer old books, then this would be just right for you! The language in the book isn't exactly modern, and some of the words may be a little tricky to understand for young children. 

Here is an extract from the book:
Out of the corner of my eye, I was aware of the glint of Captain Nicholls' heavy sword I felt his spurs in my side and I heard his battle cry. I saw the grey soldiers ahead of us raise they rifles and heard the death rattle of a machine gun. Quite suddenly I found that I had no rider, and that there was no weight on my back any more and that I was alone out in front of the squadron. With horses behind me I knew there was only one way to gallop and that was forward. Blind terror drove me on, with my flying stirrups whipping me into a frenzy. With no rider to carry I reached the kneeling riflemen first and they scattered as I came upon them.

My star rating: 5 Stars!

1 comment: